Communion Service September 20
Are you READY, WILLING and ABLE?
This is the question I want you to keep in mind as you read through the following details. First:
- Grace: the plan which follows will not suit everyone. In fact, no plan we create will make everyone happy. To that end, please extend grace to those who are leading – they’ve never led through a pandemic. Extend grace to one another. Everybody has opinions about best steps forward. This is a PRIME opportunity for the devil to drive division between sisters and brothers in faith. As the scriptures say – “Resist him and he will flee.” Giving grace to one another often requires sacrifice. Let us then look to Christ Jesus who modeled this for us.
- More or Less Christian: Each person and family are going to have to decide what’s best for them. Choosing to attend or stay home does NOT make you a more or less faithful follower of Jesus. This is a no guilt no obligation zone.
We will continue to produce and distribute our digital worship service every week. You will continue to get a Sunday email with links to our Worship Service and Children’s Messages. That will NOT stop.
In addition we are offering a small in-person Confession/Communion service, beginning on June 21st at 10AM. This short service will continue on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month.
You will be READY to join us if you’re WILLING: Willing to
- Practice Thorough Hand Hygiene – there will be hand sanitizer available and you are asked to use it both as you enter and as you leave.
- Practice Social Distancing – It will good to be together. But, to best love our neighbor it is important in these days to practice social distancing. Please respect peoples’ space, both during AND before/after the service.
- Wear a Mask – Inside, you will be required to wear a face covering (mask or shield) that covers both your nose and mouth. Wearing a mask is expected both during the service (with the exception of receiving the Lord’s Supper), AND before/after the service. Pastorsand leaders will wear a mask when interacting with church members, while presiding over the supper but NOT when leading parts of liturgy when greater distance can be maintained.
- Register your attendance – registration is required in order for the church to keep numbers to appropriatesafety levels. Registration will allow 100 people in our Sanctuary and 50 in our Mission Hall.
Secondly, you are READY to join us for Worship if you are ABLE.
You are ABLE to return to worship if you are healthy. Please, stay at home if you are sick in any way. If you are in a high risk group, you are NOT ABLE to safely return to worship. High risk groups, according to the CDC ( source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-at-higher-risk.html), are:
- People with Chronic Lung Disease or moderate to severe asthma
- People who have serious heart conditions
- People who are immunocompromised
- People with severe obesity (BMI of 40 or higher)
- People with diabetes, liver disease, or undergoing kidney dialysis
People 65 and older are technically considered high risk. Please, consider your overall health and any underlying conditions you may have, before choosing to come.
If you are WILLING to practice social distancing, good hand hygiene, wear a mask and register for service AND you are physically ABLE, then you are READY to attend our Communion Service.
Communion Service FAQ’s
Q: How do you register?
A: We will provide a link to our registration page through Email, Website and our HC Community Group page on Facebook.
Q: What if we aren’t comfortable using technology to register?
A: You may call the office (616.457.2420) and ask to be registered.
Q: How long is the service?
A: The service should be no longer than 30 minutes
Q: Will the service be like a normal Sunday service?
A: NO. The service design is simple: a short time for confession, for hearing the words of forgiveness, and for the celebration of the Lord’s Supper. There will be no music or singing.
Q: Will we use the communion rail like normal?
A: NO. The communion rail will NOT be used. The supper will be distributed in stations, with a Pastor serving the Host (bread), a table with a tray of wine from which you will serve yourselves, and a receptacle to receive your used glasses.
Q: Are the services in the Sanctuary and the Mission Hall happening simultaneously?
A: YES. We will conduct the services at the same time, allowing us to serve more people at once. You will be asked to PARK and ENTER in a specific location based on the room you’ve registered for.
Q: How will we know where to Park and Enter?
A: You will receive instructions email instructions after registering. NOTE: you may need to check your junk mail.
Q: What time should I come?
A: The doors will be open 30 minutes before the start of service.
Q: Are you going to kick me out of worship if I don’t comply with the READY, WILLING and ABLE?
A: We are not going to call the police or “kick you out.” We expect that your care and concern for your neighbors well being, and your respect for our church leaders is enough. You are encouraged to read Romans 14 (where Paul instructs us NOT to be a stumbling block for others).